Sunday, June 14, 2009

May 20 - 21 2009 Bear Creek Park State Park, Va.

My wife and I spent a night here in our RV. This state park is another in the Piedmont section of Virginia. While the campsites were a little tight, the facilities were new and clean. Bear Creek feeds the lake here. We apparently missed the spring bird migration here; I saw and spooked the local great blue heron.




However, I did see a number of flying insects and bugs, along with a few flowers. This lake had circular path around it; I accomplished about 25% of it before I turned back. I had about 4 ticks on me when I got back to the campsite.


Bear Creek Lake





Another view of Bear Creek Lake


The state park hiking trails are exceptionally well marked--it is very difficult to get lost, unless you choose a trail leading away from your goal

Beautiful Mountain Laurel
A mono-colored salamander on a bridge
"Blue Beetle"


Common Whitetail Dragonfly


Bumble Bee


Common Water Strider

Another view of the Common Water Strider


The upper one was chasing the lower one (a female?)


Black Swallowtail Butterfly


Another Black Swallowtail


Boat Dock on lake

Monster fish in lake

Turtle Crawling along the trail
Pretty, but unable to identify


Another pretty flower, unable to identify

Daisy Fleabane


Marshy area where Great Blue Heron was found
Canoes ready to go into the water

Interesting tree growth



Shelf lichen


No comments: