Monday, February 18, 2008

January 24, 2008, Eagle Watching at Pohick Bay Regional Park, Lorton, Va.

I chose to go early on a Thursday before work, hoping to take advantage of the
cold weather and see the eagles seen from Accotink Bay 4 days before [previous post].

I was shooting with my Canon Rebel XTi and a Canon 300 f/4 IS lense and TC-II doubler--hand held. The back-lighting against the 5 eagles seen from the small
boat put-in was poor. And, when I got closer than a certain range, the nearest
eagles would fly back a ways.

At the point where I went back to my car to change from a totally manual mode
[with TC x2] to autofocus and auto-tracking with the TC x 1.4 device, all of
the eagles began flying towards me. I wasn't prepared for them and didn't get
any overhead shots. The reason they all flew at once was an Everglades style
propellor driven (swamp) boat with a bunch of hunters returning from Ft Belvoir...the
boat was very loud.

Fortunately, I did get to see a great blue heron fly by, skimming the water.

Not the handsomest adult bald eagle



Airborne adult against the washed out sky
Adult flying majestically overhead


Five immature and adult bald eagles in a large tree by the small-boat put-in
Obliging great blue heron


Canadian geese by main pier
Canadian geese underway




No comments: